Meet the 2024 Board Candidates

Board candidate bios are published as written and submitted by the candidates.

Sherrie Erickson, Incumbent, District 2

Sherrie Erickson headshotI have served the last three years as a Board Member representing District 2. I am concerned about keeping our rates as low as we can. Many factors affect our rates. The Bonneville Power Administration (BPA) new contracts 2028, dam removals, and many other factors. Raft River Electric is a member-owned company, and I would like to see the members be more involved and better informed. I have 28 years of experience in the electric business. I understand the rate structure and I feel this would help me as a member of the Board. I have been a 4-H leader, coaching youth sports and involved in our community. I would run for the board based on my honesty and integrity. Below are some of the programs I passed that would help me continue to be a better board member.

• KRTA certificate Program 1 – National Rural Electric Utilities Cooperative Finance Corporation
  • Front Line Leadership Session Certificate – Northwest Public Power Association Education Course
  • CCD – Credentialed Cooperative Director Certificate Program

I grew up in Yost, UT. Graduated from Raft River High School. Received a 1-year business degree from Ricks College. My husband Scott and I have 4 sons, 15 grandchildren, and 2 great-grandchildren. We have lived in Almo, Idaho for over 45 years. I worked at Interstate Feeders then we moved to Nevada for one year. When we moved back, I worked at Raft River Electric for 28 years. Some of my hobbies are chasing kids and grandchildren, hiking, biking, being outdoors, gardening and racing horses with my family.

Kay Hill, District 2

Kay Hill headshotI was born in Burley, ID, and raised in Malta for the first five years of my life. My grandparents and parents were all from Malta. My dad worked for Raft River Electric Co-op for 15 years before moving to another co-op. His example inspired me to want to work in the electric industry. I worked as a Journeyman Lineman and a Line Foreman and finished my career as a Line Superintendent. I retired after 42 years in the industry. I married Shellie Lloyd Hill, who was raised in the communities of Elba and Almo. She graduated from Raft River High School. We lived and raised our four children in the Burley area. We have ten grandchildren. After I retired, we had the opportunity to move to Elba, back to our roots and the valley and communities we love. My hobbies include hunting, horseback riding, snowmobiling, camping, and spending time with my family. I love the electric industry and would like to share my knowledge and experience as a Raft River Electric Co-op board member.

Susan Knight, District 4

Susan Knight headshotI have been a resident of Jarbidge, NV, for most of my life. I was born in Port Arthur, TX, and grew up in Las Vegas but at the young age of 12 my father introduced me to this community, and I have loved it ever since. I have been lucky enough to raise both of my children in the Jarbidge community and built countless memories and connections here, and I look forward to giving back to this place that has given me so much. For over 32 years, my husband and I have proudly operated Bearcreek Woodworks, our furniture business, and sawmill, founded and operated in Jarbidge. I am proud to be an active participant in this small but mighty community and volunteered as an EMT on the Fire Department. I also worked for the local post office for 12 years, where my communication and problem-solving skills had a chance to shine. As I stand on the cusp of retirement, my wealth of experience and passion for the local community positions me to be an effective and dedicated member of the Raft River Electric Board. My understanding of Jarbidge’s dynamics, coupled with my business acumen, will contribute to the cooperative’s strategic decisions, ensuring a positive impact on our community’s energy future. I am eager and ready to take on this role, continuing my journey of service to the place I am proud to call home.

Shawn Burt, District 4

Shawn Burt headshotI was born in March 1970 in Lake Tahoe. My father took a job building the Valmy Power Plant, which moved our family to Elko, NV, where I grew up. After graduating from Elko High School, I served an LDS mission. First, I was in Ft. Lauderdale, FL, and then I was chosen to open the mission field in Guyana, South America. Upon coming home, I met my wife, Monica. We’ve been together for 32 years. We have raised four incredible children together and have been blessed with four grandchildren. I joined the army shortly after getting married and was honorably discharged. I spent the next few years after the army working for my family business in Elko before starting my own company. I soon got the opportunity to be the yard foreman on the Bay Bridge retrofit project. I let my company go and took the job. Afterward, we spent a short time in Arizona when my father was diagnosed with cancer. We moved back to Elko to be with him and help run the family business. After my father’s passing, I took a job in public works for the town of Jackpot. After years of dedication and love for our little town, I moved up to be the superintendent of Jackpot. I manage the town and oversee all functions. I am the water purveyor, wastewater operator, president-elect for NVAA, airport manager, and several other titles, certifications, and licenses.